Foodbuzz

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Malted Nougat Cookies

Well I have been in the challenge playground with the recipe for these cookies.  It may not be as hard as the food network challenge, but it does improve your problem solving skills..

The website I got this particular recipe from does give you a choice of just recipes or recipes tested.  Apparently the one I picked was tested by one person who stated they turned out good.  Well, I did not like the result.  They tasted good enough but they were a bit greasy and flat as pancakes.  Since I have scheduled a delivery for 12 dz cookies tomorrow, I could not just say "bad recipe" and forget about it.  I had to make it work and I did have to purchase a few things to make these.

I am a firm believer in reading the recipe all the way through before you make it.  The first wierd thing I noticed was that you have to space the round balls of dough far apart-so far apart that 6 can only go on one baking sheet.  Well if these were supposed to be round balls that you could roll in confectioners sugar-why the spacing?? Apparently some of the instructions were intermingled with the recipe for the same cookie but these were shaped in a round ball.

The one on the left is the improved one.  The change was the result of adding an extra 1/2 cup of flour.  The cookies were chewy with a subtle taste of malt, so I was happy that I was able to make my deadline with some tasty, better looking cookies.  I certainly did not like the frisbees. This recipe makes about  2 1/2 dozen cookies.  Also, if you are wondering what the decoration is on top-it is chocolate sprinkles.


Malted Nougat Cookies
adapted from Recipe Links

Ingredients
1 cup finely chopped, salted Brazil nuts
chocolate sprinkles (optional)
1 cup or 2 sticks of butter 
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cups of light brown sugar
1/2 cup of malted milk powder (I used Horlicks brand)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour and the baking soda and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.  Then beat in the malted milk powder and vanilla extract.  Add the egg and beat for about 2 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl.  With a wooden spoon or spatula, fold in the flour mixture.  Lastly, mix in the Brazil nuts.

Shape dough into balls, about two inches in diameter.  If you opted to use the chocolate sprinkles, pour some in a small bowl.  Then take each ball of dough and dip the top in the sprinkles.  Place each ball of dough onto the prepared baking sheet (sprinkles face up), spacing evenly apart, about 2 1/2 to 3 inches.  One baking sheet should hold about six balls of dough.

Place cookies in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes. Make sure you do not overcook, they will become very hard.  I baked mine for 12 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool on pan for about 5 minutes and then transfer to rack to finish cooling.
                                  **LAST YEAR: Three Cup Chicken**