Foodbuzz

Monday, September 6, 2010

Cupcake Trials- Godiva Liqueur Cupcakes


Let's all post blogs today with recipes that we never try.  That way someone else can go to the expense to see if it is a good recipe.  Today that someone else just happens to be me.  Finally here I am, 15 eggs later with one decent batch of cupcakes.  I had to go back to the whipped cream frosting I used on the Hawaiian Paradise Cake in August, so I not only had recipes for bad cupcakes, but bad icing.  The icing recommended for these cupcakes was made with marscapone which gave it a good taste, but the icing would not hold its shape outside of the fridge.  The cupcake recipe below ended up to be the keeper out of all.

Godiva Liqueur Cupcakes
adapted from the cupcakery blog
Yield- 2 & 1/2 dz
3 oz dark chocolate ( I used Valrhona)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup Godiva Liqueur

Line cupcake tins with paper liners and preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Melt chocolate in double boiler until smooth and set aside.

In a small bowl, sift baking soda, salt and flour together. Set aside.  Then, in a larger bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.  Add sugar to butter and beat until combined.  Once creamed together, beat in each egg, one at a time.  Then beat in the melted chocolate.

Then, with a wooden spoon, mix in flour until smooth.  Then add the buttermilk, mixing until combined and lastly add in the liqueur.  Once combined, you are ready to load the cupcake liners.

I used 1/4 cup to scoop the batter and put it into the liners.  Some people use a ice cream scoop.  Either way, fill cups 3/4 full.  Then put in oven for about 17 to 22 minutes or when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. It is a good idea to turn the pan around in your oven at the halfway point in baking. I had a pan that baked 2 dz at once and it took a total of about 20 minutes.

Once out of the oven, you can brush some more liqueur onto the cupcake to soak in prior to frosting if you want the liqueur to stand out more.  I am donating these, so I excluded that step.

As stated originally, I used the same frosting recipe I had posted for the Hawaiian Paradise Cake, but you can use any frosting with this cupcake.  For an "extra" touch, you can put a strawberry  or chocolate shavings on top of the frosting.

Well, with all this baking, I am ready to go to a place where someone else cooks- a food festival.  If you feel the same, check out foodreference.com. and just plug in your state.