Foodbuzz

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Timeline Ice Cream Stacks

This strawberry ice cream dessert has the makings of something an adult would eat.  However, its hue does bring me to a different timeline in my life, which is my childhood. To me, pink represents childhood.  When I think of this color my mind takes me back to when I was little and the world seemed large and filled with such wonder.  I remember the spinning pink tea cups at Disney World, fluffy cotton candy, my pink and white stuffed dog named "poochie" and pink puffy slippers.  Pink had a way of making me feel special and all girlie.

While I still like pink today, I am not so encased in it like I was in my childhood. I sometimes wonder if there was no pink when I was growing up, how different I would be today.  I do believe color does influence your outlook and state of mind.

This dessert is made up of an oatmeal crust with 2 layers of strawberry almond ice cream.  In between the layers is chopped up almond chocolate bars.  You can form this dessert in two different ways and the recipe includes the options.  The servings will be 10 with the use of the three inch ring molds and 20 with the 9X13 pan.


Timeline Ice Cream Stacks
by flourtrader

Ingredients
One large 4.5 oz almond chocolate candy bar, chopped
One 8 oz package of oatmeal cookies, crushed
4 tbs butter melted
2 tbs almond extract
1/2 gallon strawberry ice cream

If using ring molds, line a cookie sheet with wax paper and place each mold on top, with one side edge face down.  Make sure the molds are evenly spaced.

Remove the ice cream from the carton and place in bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1/2 an hour.

Mix the melted butter and the crushed oatmeal in a small bowl.  If using a 9X13 pan, press the butter/cookie blend into the bottom of the pan, making sure all is even.  For the ring molds, place 3 tbs of the blend inside each mold and press down, evening the crumb mixture. Place in freezer for 15 minutes. 

Take the ice cream out of the fridge and add the extract and beat for 3 minutes at medium speed.

Remove the molds or pan of cookie crumbs from the freezer.  For the pan, spoon 1/2 the ice cream over the top of the crumbs.  For the molds, spoon 1/4 cup of the ice cream into each.  Smooth the top of the ice cream and place in freezer for  another 15 minutes.

Remove and scatter 3/4 of the crushed candy bar pieces over the layer of ice cream, making sure all inside edges are covered.  This step is important for the ring molds because you want the chocolate pieces to show through on the outer edges.  Then spoon the remaining ice cream over the top of the candy bars and freeze for about 5 minutes.  Remove and scatter the remaining candy bar pieces over the top.  Freeze for at least 4 hours.

To serve, remove from freezer and let sit about 10 minutes before cutting from pan.  For molds, remove from freezer, wait 5 minutes and remove from the wax paper, push ice cream stack from the bottom out of the mold and shift the stack to a plate to serve.
                          **LAST YEAR: Alfajores**