Foodbuzz

Monday, June 4, 2012

Orange Crisps

I made about 14 dozen of these cookies.  One thing about making something in such large quantity, is that your kitchen equipment really does get a workout. Also, since these were spritz cookies and my press is not electric-my left hand has a much stronger grip now!  The press I was using had plastic templates.  Needless to say two split.

This particular recipe is a recipe specifically made for a press, so obviously this press is fine if you want to make a few dozen cookies for a brunch with a few friends.  Not for cranking out several dozen.  I am now wondering why I did not get a press with metal templates.  Anyhow, this recipe did have one obvious error, it advised to use parchment paper.  The dough did not stick to the paper, but remained on the press.  They did fine on an un-greased baking sheet.

The cookies are pretty much your standard spritz with an orange flavor.  They were some of the ones I made for a grand opening for a new hospital at Ft Hood Army Base.  I had to consider something that would present well and would hold up to Texas heat since these cookies were being transported.  However, if I was in Alaska, I would not have hesitated to dip these in chocolate!

I had some taste testers in house this weekend that really did like them, so I am confident that these will go over well.

Orange Crisps
by Recipelink.com   (recipe makes 6-7 dz)

Ingredients
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbs orange juice
1 tsp grated orange zest
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup shortening

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda in a medium size bowl.  Set aside.

In another bowl, beat together both sugars and shortening until smooth.  Then add egg, zest and orange juice.  Mix ingredients until all is evenly distributed.  Then fold in the sifted ingredients.

Fill cookie press and form cookies on baking sheet according to press manufacturer's directions.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Transfer to rack and let cool.

Tips and Notes:
1. no matter how long it takes to form and bake these cookies, do not refrigerate the dough.
2. To make sure that dough continues to stick to the baking sheet and come off the press, wipe off the grease from the baking sheet between uses.
                           **LAST YEAR: S'more Ice Cream**